Learn how you could earn up to $500 simply by referring your friend to Baraud. Learn More

The Job Blog

Amendments to a Valid Work Permit

Have you ever had the need to amend a work permit? You may ask whether or not a temporary work permit can be amended or whether or not it can be shared with another employer. The answer is YES! You can make an application to Immigration to amend a temporary work permit or a full year work permit. Some of the allowable amendments are:

  • Change position title or add a title to an existing position title
  • Change of commencement date
  • Share with a second and third employers
  • Add or remove a dependant

Making an application for a work permit amendment requires submission of the completed relevant form and other supporting documentation (detailed below), plus a filing fee of $70 for amending a temporary work permit and $100 for full year work permits.

To change a job title

  • a completed application form
  • a letter from the employer stating the new job title and explaining in detail the reasons why the job title is being changed.
  • Note: if the new job title is a skilled occupation, then the position must be advertised and copies of the advertisements must be enclosed with the amendment application.

Further documents may also be requested such as the applicant’s resume and certified copies of professional certificates

To change the commencement date of a work permit

In cases where the employee’s arrival in the Islands has been delayed or postponed the employer should provide a letter explaining the circumstances and specifying the new date for the commencement of the work permit. The employer must also provide a certified copy of the employee’s full passport.

To share a work permit with an additional employer

Letters from both the present employer and the new employer(s) giving details of the number of days per week/hours per day the employee will work for them respectively. The letter from the new employer must state the job title that the employee will have. If the position with the new employer is a skilled position, then it must be advertised and copies of the advertisements must be submitted with the application. Each employer must also state the salary and benefits that they will pay the employee.

To add a dependant to a valid work permit

If the dependant is the applicant’s spouse:

  • certified copy of marriage certificate
  • completed medical questionnaire, including HIV/VDRL test results
  • certified police clearance certificate

If the dependant is a child under the age of 18:

  • certified child’s birth certificate

If the child is of school age:

  • a letter from a private school confirming acceptance/attendance
  • A letter from the employer of each parent indicating the number of hours per week that they are required to work, their monthly income and any other benefits that they receive

If the father is unmarried and is applying to have a child added as a dependant:

  • proof of legal custody of the child
  • statement as to the whereabouts of the child’s mother
  • certified child’s birth certificate
  • letter from father’s employer stating the father’s salary and benefits

To remove a dependant from a valid work permit

Requires a completed application form together with cover letter stating reasons for removing dependant.

The above amendments can take anywhere between 6 – 8 weeks on average to process. Once approved, an approval fee will be due and payable. This approval fee will vary depending on the type of amendment and will be stated on the approval letter.

Ensure that you submit all the required documentation to avoid delays. If you need any assistance or have any questions, please contact us and we would be happy to assist.

Have a great day!